Title: CEO, FirewizeLocation: Melbourne, Australia
- Professional Summary
Russ Porteous is the founder and CEO of Firewize an innovative fire safety design, installation and maintenance consultancy located in Melbourne, Australia.
With over 30 years of broad industry experience and an avid geek Russ has successfully blended the two to grow and leverage his business investments to cover trade and building services, property investment, e-commerce, online learning and software development.
Capitalizing on his knowledge and understanding of technology, Russ has developed a customer lead generating pipeline that operates without him, generating hundreds of qualified leads per (mostly based on work he did over 9 years ago).
Russ works with his wife of 25+ years and high-school sweetheart alongside his highly capable son who both help oversee their family business interests. In his spare time, Russ is found working with guys in his local community to help them find purpose and connection.
- Experience & Recognition
In 2019, Russ was recognised for his 30+ years of industry experience by his peers within the fire protection industry, receiving the prestigious “Meritorious Service Award”.
- 2019+ Elected Director, Fire Protection Association Australia
- 2018+ Member of Standards Australia Committee LG007, Emergency Escape Lighting in Buildings
- 2017 - FPA Australia, Finalist - Fire Protection Project of the Year
- 2009-2012 - Member of Standards Australia Committee FP001, Routine Servicing of Fire Protection Systems & Equipment
- 2009-2012 Elected Director, Fire Protection Association Australia
- 2006+ Founder of the Special Interest Group (SIG) for the maintenance of fire protection systems and equipment within Fire Protection Association Australia. This group later became the Technical Advisory Committee (TAC-001) for the maintenance of fire protection systems and equipment.
- 2012 - Presenter at Fire Australia - Environmental Cost of Maintenance
- 2010 - Presenter at the Real Estate Institute of Victoria - Legislative Requirements of Maintenance
- 2010 - Presenter at the Aged Care Association - Essential Safety Measures Compliance in Healthcare Facilities
- Latest Articles
- A water supply proving test is a functional test of the water supply of an automatic fire sprinkler system or fire hydrant system to validate the required performance (duty) of the water supply. This test is used to determine if there has been any degredation in the water supply that could adversely affect the performance of the water supply between tests, placing the occupants of the building at risk from fire.
- Selecting the best fire extinguisher for home must be made based on the size of the property, and the type and amount of fuel available. In most cases, a multi-purpose fire extinguisher in combination with a fire blanket is the best option.
- We keep people up to date on a range of sicial media channels. The three most likely are YouTube, LinkedIn and Facebook.
- Fire Australia, 2022 – Melbourne: Johnson Controls displayed the QE20 the logical successor to their very popular QE90 Emergency Warning and Communication System. The QE20 is a comprehensive redesign of the QE90. Complying with Australian Standard AS 4428 Part 4 and Part 16, as well as AS7240 and includes a range of new features and innovation to promote the safe and orderly evacuation of a building in the event of a fire or other emergency.
- Australian Standard AS 1670.1:2008 provides limited guidance to the installation and subsequent access to fire detectors as well as control and indicating equipment. This article covers the requirements in the Standard and follows up with scenarios where limited access to this equipment could adversely affect routine servicing and maintenance.