Title: CEO, FirewizeLocation: Melbourne, Australia
- Professional Summary
Russ Porteous is the founder and CEO of Firewize an innovative fire safety design, installation and maintenance consultancy located in Melbourne, Australia.
With over 30 years of broad industry experience and an avid geek Russ has successfully blended the two to grow and leverage his business investments to cover trade and building services, property investment, e-commerce, online learning and software development.
Capitalizing on his knowledge and understanding of technology, Russ has developed a customer lead generating pipeline that operates without him, generating hundreds of qualified leads per (mostly based on work he did over 9 years ago).
Russ works with his wife of 25+ years and high-school sweetheart alongside his highly capable son who both help oversee their family business interests. In his spare time, Russ is found working with guys in his local community to help them find purpose and connection.
- Experience & Recognition
In 2019, Russ was recognised for his 30+ years of industry experience by his peers within the fire protection industry, receiving the prestigious “Meritorious Service Award”.
- 2019+ Elected Director, Fire Protection Association Australia
- 2018+ Member of Standards Australia Committee LG007, Emergency Escape Lighting in Buildings
- 2017 - FPA Australia, Finalist - Fire Protection Project of the Year
- 2009-2012 - Member of Standards Australia Committee FP001, Routine Servicing of Fire Protection Systems & Equipment
- 2009-2012 Elected Director, Fire Protection Association Australia
- 2006+ Founder of the Special Interest Group (SIG) for the maintenance of fire protection systems and equipment within Fire Protection Association Australia. This group later became the Technical Advisory Committee (TAC-001) for the maintenance of fire protection systems and equipment.
- 2012 - Presenter at Fire Australia - Environmental Cost of Maintenance
- 2010 - Presenter at the Real Estate Institute of Victoria - Legislative Requirements of Maintenance
- 2010 - Presenter at the Aged Care Association - Essential Safety Measures Compliance in Healthcare Facilities
- Latest Articles
- A Safety Data Sheet for a fire extinguisher provides detailed information on its chemical composition, potential hazards, safe handling practices, storage recommendations, emergency procedures, and first aid measures, ensuring safe use and compliance with health and safety regulations.
- Fire Rescue Victoria ("FRV") issues guidelines (GL-35) on conducting a hydrostatic test for new and existing fire hydrant systems, clarifying requirements for systems with and without brigade booster connections or pumps. This article provides a summary of GL-35 and the circumstances where a hydrostatic pressure test is not required.
- In Victoria, certain work described in Schedule 3 of the Building Regulations (Vic) 2018 is exempt from a building permit and occupancy permit. In this article we look at the requirements of Schedule 3 and what work is exempted from a building permit.
- Are you a high-performing graduate seeking an opportunity that stands out from the conventional pathways? Look no further. Firewize's Graduate Recruitment and Development Scheme (GRADS) is a 6-month program explicitly designed to attract, recruit, develop, and retain top-tier talent in the fire industry in Victoria.
- Have you finished Year 12 or a pre-apprenticeship? Are you studying an undergraduate or degree in engineering, computer science, mechatronics, electrical or electronic engineering or building surveying? Every year we open an opportunity for enthusiastic people to join Firewize and the fire industry. Learn more by checking out the opportunities our industry offers.