- Emergency Procedures Guide ("EPG")
An emergency procedure guide ("EPG"), in relation to dangerous goods or vehicle fire, is a guide outlining procedures to be taken in the event of an emergency involving the goods or in event of a fire on a road vehicle which is either:
- in the form, or substantially in the form, of the emergency procedure guide for the goods or vehicle fire published by Standards Australia; or
- in a form approved by the competent authority.
A typical emergency procedure guide contains the following outline of subjects;
- a description and likelihood of hazards;
- pre-emptive actions to be taken to mitigate the risks caused by transporting or handling the hazards;
- A inventory of dangerous goods;
- a protocol for notifying the relevant authorities and stakeholders in the event of an incident;
- appropriate personal protective equipment and other precautions for dealing with the dangerous goods;
- emergency contact details for relevant emergency services and the community;
- procedures for dealing with an emergency;
- training plan for workers;
- supporting documentation such as manifests and material safety data sheets.