- AS/NZS 1841
Australian Standard AS 1841 is a series of eight Australian and New Zealand Standards that cover the materials, methods of manufacture, performance, instructions and markings of various types of portable fire extinguishers including water, wet chemical, foam, powder and carbon monoxide portable fire extinguishers.
A complimentary Australian Standard AS 2444 provides guidance on the selection and location of portable fire extinguishers and fire blankets, while the maintenance requirements of a portable fire extinguishers is covered in Australian Standard AS 1851.
The first reported version of the Standard (AS A31 and AS A32) was published in 1937 with additions and new editions in 1963 (AS A45, AS A137 and AS A138) and later in 1968 (AS A137). In 1973 the Standard designation was updated and a new editions published as follows;
- 1841 Portable fire extinguishers—Water (gas-container) type
- 1842 Portable fire extinguishers—Water (stored-pressure) type
- 1844 Portable fire extinguisher—Foam (gas-container) type
- 1845 Portable fire extinguisher—Foam (stored-pressure) type
- 1846 Portable fire extinguisher—Powder type
- 1847 Portable fire extinguisher—Carbon dioxide type
- 1848 Portable fire extinguisher—Halon type
A new Standard AS 2444, Portable fire extinguishers and fire blankets—Selection and location was also produced covering the selection and location of portable fire extinguishers in Australia.
The designation of these Standards was again updated again to reflect the AS1841 that provides specific requirements for individual types of fire extinguishers are given in the following subordinate Standards;
- 1841.1 Part 1: General requirements
- 1841.2 Part 2: Specific requirements for water type extinguishers
- 1841.3 Part 3: Specific requirements for wet chemical type extinguishers
- 1841.4 Part 4: Specific requirements for foam type extinguishers
- 1841.5 Part 5: Specific requirements for powder type extinguishers
- 1841.6 Part 6: Specific requirements for carbon dioxide type extinguishers
- 1841.7 Part 7: Specific requirements for vaporizing liquid type extinguishers
- 1841.8 Part 8: Specific requirements for non-rechargeable type extinguishers