Australian Standard AS 2444 covers the selection criteria and location of portable fire extinguishers and fire blankets including required location signs.
A portable fire extinguisher is required to be installed in a conspicuous and readily available position, away from potential hazards that could hinder access and use of the extinguisher.
The Standard also recommends, where practicable a portable fire extinguisher should be located along the normal path of travel near exits.
The location of each portable fire extinguisher should be clearly indicated by the placement of a location sign and mounted such that the bottom of the sign is 2 meters above the floor immediately above the fire extinguisher or group of fire extinguishers, even if the extinguishers are of different types.
Portable fire extinguishers may also fitted with an identification sign. These signs are round and indicate the type of portable fire extinguisher as well as the typical types of application the fire extinguisher can be used as follows;
- RED sign with white writing, air-water fire extinguisher
- RED sign with black writing, carbon-dioxide fire extinguisher
- RED/WHITE sign with white/red writing, dry-chemical powder fire extinguisher
- BLUE sign with white writing, air-foam fire extinguisher
- OATMEAL sign with black writing, wet chemical fire extinguisher